[Malvern] Memory Reliability

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Sun Aug 12 21:05:56 BST 2007

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:32:35 +0100, ianpascoe at btinternet.com said:

> I'm more than happy to be corrected!

Well, if that's the perception then that is the perception. FWIW, I don't
believe Linux needs rebooting on a regular basis - as others have
commented, reboots are associated with power outages, hardware upgrades or
kernel upgrades. There's probably some case somewhere where Linux would
benefit from a reboot, but I've yet to see it (outside of beta software).

It's a sad reflection on Windows (ha! no pun intended) that users' first
action when they have a problem is to reboot. This is the 21st century;
PCs have been around for 20-odd years, yet people /expect/ the operating
system to be unreliable. Sadly, that expectation is justified if they are
running Windows, and that seems to be spilling over to Linux. Next time
someone tells you that Linux systems need rebooting, ask for evidence of
their assertion!

Keith

--
Keith Edmunds