[Malvern] Memory Reliability

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Mon Aug 13 00:29:58 BST 2007

Unless you use that thrice-cursed abomination known as Flash[1]. When it
goes it hang Firefox. Closing (well, killing) and restarting Firefox
leads to a nice dialog box telling me that Firefox is already running
and that I should either close it down or reboot. I can't find a way to
close the invisible Firefox and end up rebooting.

So, does anyone know how to kill unkillable processes and save me these
reboots?

To further annoy me, when shutting down the system can't unmount the
disk cleanly because some process won't take it's filthy paws off the
hard drive. Thank $KERNELHACKER for journalled filesystems.

[1] Yes, I know you can redefine beta software as 'that which forces
reboots' and include Flash in the list.