[Malvern] That SPA921 again !

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Sun Dec 23 12:52:35 GMT 2007

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 11:20:55AM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> Hi Chris - I haven't heard much from you recently - I hope you are OK.

I'm fine, just busy with work recently.

> Because ultimately I have to set up another one  where the computer runs
> Windows, and I know nothing about that ! It will have just a router/ADSL
> modem.  It will also be in Ireland !Any further hints most gratefully
> awaited !

Aren't these Linksys phones completely standalone once you've configured
them from a web browser on any machine?  You could set the pair of them up
on your network then ship the other to Ireland in a known working state.
Hell, if the firewall at the other end would accept incoming http
connections, you could remote admister it from Malvern.

> Skype is certainly proprietary and  incompatible with all the other VoIP
> systems.

Yes but aren't you only planning to use it to talk to family?  Why the need
for compatibility?  Skype is also very good from a counter-intercept pov by
the way.

> One of my ham-radio friend has a home-brew VoIP working.  They have to
> e-mail the IP address first.

So it just uses RTSP, SIP isn't used for call setup?

Have a great time over the holidays!

Chris Eilbeck