[Malvern] Updating the kernel.

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Thu May 10 07:58:59 BST 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 05:39:27PM +0100, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> Sometimes,  "Etch" tries to update to a kernel version that is the same
> as the current one.

You're lucky, on some occassions mine tries to update to an older
version!

What I don't understand is why the installer doesn't understand that
there are some core packages that you just don't try and remove, even
when upgrading to a later version. I recently had a dependency mismatch
on Debian recently because of this, all because udev needed a version
later than the installed kernel, even though I was installing the latest
kernel! It took ages to correct the dependency tree.

At times the dependency resolution on Debian/Ubuntu leaves a lot to be
desired. It probably is a bug, but have no idea how to describe it and
submit it.

Cheers,
Barbie.
--