[Malvern] HTML and other Web stuff

Guy Inchbald guy at steelpillow.com
Sat May 3 18:57:52 BST 2008

Ian,

Sounds like a Windows 2000 environment? If it isn't, look away now.

Probably your first port of call should be MS Front Page. It offers both
WYSIWYG and text modes and is well integrated with the MS way of doing
things. I'm not sure how handy it is with SQL though, and the downside
is that it tends to reinforce the proprietary hook-in.

Adobe Dreamweaver is the 'de facto' professional standard tool
(previously sold by Macromedia). More powerful than FrontPage and less
tied into the MS contract with the devil, but not quite so easy to throw
yourself into, and your boss might whinge at the price if you already
have a FrontPage license on a server somewhere (which you probably do).

If you use a less sophisticated tool (and there are many), you will have
a deal of learning to do on topics such as CSS, javascript/ECMAscript
and HTML vs. XHTML, never mind ASP. FrontPage and Dreamweaver have a
good supply of click-and-pray type wizards and such so you can hide from
most of it for quite a long time. Your code will be vile, but then so is
the software stack so why care.

Also, what web browser/s do they all use? IE6 is notoriously
idiosyncratic and non-compliant with web standards, while IE7 may not
have arrived yet? Hope they don't expect you to support Netscape (like I
had to until last year when we all got Firefox hooray)! Most text based
"web editors" focus on standards compliance and are useless in an
IE6-plus-web-apps environment because so much non-standard code needs to
be chucked in, at least until you become expert at the differences
between the w3c standard in front of you and the horrors that your
particular version of IE6 expects - especially in the realm of debugging
CSS styling and javascript client-side processing. FrontPage and
Dreamweaver are reasonably aware of most such bugs and will work around
them for you as you point-and-click away.

Don't know how familiar you are with the SQL language or MS SQL Server,
but MS of course have their own useful extensions to the SQL standards,
which you may want to use/avoid according to taste.

Sorry I don't know any good learning resource, but the tutorials that
come with the software are probably a good place to start developing
your working practices and deciding which areas you need to dirty your
hands with.

HTH

--
Cheers,