[Malvern] WiFi dongles.

Mark marqueue at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 5 14:12:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 13:40 +0100, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> Where can I learn something useful about these ?   The main sites I
> have
> seen only want to advertise and sell them !
>
> I wonder whether they are Linux friendly,   or perhaps even specific
> certain "service providers".
> Would they work with user interfaces such as Kismet ?

In my limited experience compatibility seems to based on Chipsets rather
than makers. For example some Belkin use Realtek chips and they work
fine while others use Broadcom chips, which mostly don't, even though
they may be sold as the same item. Having said that, some Broadcom chips
will work if you compromise and use ndiswrapper. It's a bit of a
minefield. Crunchbang Linux seems to support almost all the sticks I've
plugged in, presumably because they're not so fussy about using
proprietary drivers.

ps Sorry Geoff. I copied this directly to you by mistake.