[Malvern] WiFi dongles.

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Mon Oct 5 19:31:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:40:28PM +0100, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> I note that there now exist USB WiFi dongles.

They've been around for years!  What you keep seeing advertised on the telly
is UMTS USB dongles.  They're third generation celullar technology.  Some
are Linux friendly.  Mostly they emulate a serial port connection but some
are proper USB and load firmware from the PC during USB enumeration.  These
are less likely to work under Linux and you often need to strip the firmware
out of the windows drivers to get them to work.

> Change of subject - When is the next get-together in Malvern ?

Tomorrow at the GMH.  I won't be there.  Got to be out of town and won't be
back in time.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR