[Newark] Monthly Dri^H^H^H Meeting - August

Steve Caddy steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 21 13:24:25 UTC 2008

Chris Hayes wrote:

> Topics, eh? Possibly XFCE, that I'm currently using rather than Gnome.

Hmmm - I think a demo might be more fun than talking about, it. I have to be
honest - I've never used anything other than CDE, twm, fvwm-2, and gnome. If
there's something "better" than gnome, I'd like to see it.

> Mozilla Prism - hyped up toolbarless browser?

Never heard of it. Another demo?

> What happened to Mozilla
> Composer / Nvu / Kompozer (oh, that's what happened!).

I feel really stupid, and don't have a clue what you're talking about.

> Applications and strategies for improving efficiency?

That's probably a good debate. I mentioned I used to use twm. It's an AWFUL
window manager, but it's small, and ran much faster than CDE which was my
other option at the time. If there are examples outside of window managers,
smaller text editors, web browsers that just show web pages, without
toolbars and caching, etc, then lets talk about it.

> Should graphical
> implementations of cli programs be encouraged so much, or should we be
> encouraging new users to embrace the command line?

Another good debate, and I'll reserve my comments for the time being. I
certainly have views on this.

I also suspect that my diary has been addled, and I'm not going to be
available next Tuesday :-(

Steve

--
Email: steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com