[Newark] Linux (Ubuntu) Graphics Tablets

Khismett Riddle spindleflax at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 18:29:01 BST 2008

I don't think Paint.NET works in Mono yet, it needs porting (Mono doesn't
actually allow all .NET apps to run perfectly under Linux; common
misconception). Pixel costs money and Krita... well, I've never used Krita,
but I don't know if it has a paintbrush, let alone pressure support.

I don't get the general universe's grudge against the GIMP (other than the
name, which is stupid). It's no harder to learn than Photoshop, and for the
kind of digital art most digital artists do, it's more than good enough. It
has a proper brush engine that does all it needs to; sure, it's not as fast
or featureful as Photoshop's or Maya's, but it's fine. Some people complain
about the 'crazy' interface, but the MDI interface of Photoshop is only in
the Windows version; on OSX the stuff is split up into windows just like in
the GIMP. There are good GIMP artists out there, but I doubt many of them
find the need to crow about it, it's pretty much irrelevant which of the
vaguely suitable paint programs an artist uses. Using Photoshop doesn't make
anyone a better artist and using the GIMP doesn't make anyone worse. I
happen to know of a good webcomic that is entirely done in the GIMP (
http://subterforge.com/ though the current page isn't digital). It's just a
weird tradition that everyone thinks the GIMP is difficult to use and not
powerful enough for proper artwork, yet there have been excellent pieces of
art done in OpenCanvas 1, MS Paint and even ASCII.

So yeah... nothing wrong with the GIMP. I don't know how good or avid an
artist you are, Dean, but most skilled digital artists don't need Photoshop
or a multi-hundred quid tablet, even if they happen to have them.

Tom