[Newark] Working with Larger LUGs

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Thu Jun 26 11:47:14 BST 2008

>> At last night's meet we discussed the idea of doing *something* with
>> the two large LUGs on either side of us, Nottingham, and Lincs..

My initial thoughts was to just ask them if we can announce our meetings on
their list and offer the same back to them if they're interested. Some of
their members might be more local to us (and possibly not even know we
exist) or available on our meet day and not other local groups.

> I'm a member of both Nottingham LUG and Mansfield LUG. Mansfield have very
> interesting sounding meetings, general problem solving sessions, etc.
> Nottingham LUG's curry meets appeal to me, the problem is that curry and
> beer and driving to and from Nottingham are blocking dependancies (and
> some of you are aware of the trouble I've had with dependancies recently).
> This isn't to say we couldn't do something... an inter-LUG Linux based pub
> quiz maybe?

Must say this is one of the reasons I've only been to one Notts LUG meet
(can't remember where). Curry/Beer is nice but getting there and back either
means driving and not drinking or public transport *shudder* and last time I
checked train times it left too early to make it worth while going IMO.

I must admit I do miss the beer free weekend at noon meetings we had at
Newcastle.

ChrisB.