[Newark] Meeting

Steve Caddy steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com
Wed May 28 15:09:50 BST 2008

Chris Burton wrote:

> We had a small gathering again last night - topics of confusion included
> (in no real order):

I found it confusing, and I was doing most of the talki^W slurring...

> Updating running kernels (after a search I found Ksplice not sure if
> that was the one).

Sounds about right...

> Arrays / Structures / Lists and associated fun of watching them going
> through the window (you probably had to be there).

...as well as how to mentally picture N dimensional arrays. Just chuck the lot
out of the window if you ask me >:) At least you'll never forget my explanation
of depth first tree searches.

> Types/tastes of beers and various other alcoholic drinks.

...and plentiful consumption thereof...

> Trying to explain Baroque/Classical/Romantic to me after a few pints (If
> you can give me a list of titles I'll try to give them a listen).

I think I talked about the toccata from Widor's 5th Symphony (in F), Bach's
toccata and fugue in D minor, and the second movement of Vivaldi's Gloria in D
(Et In Terra Pax), and probably a load of other stuff that is lost in the haze
of my 4th pint (I really should stop after 3).

> And most likely a lot of other interesting stuff I'll probably remember
> as soon as I hit send...

It's probably for the best that it's left forgotten really.

You managed to miss off some important advice that I shared - when dealing with
dependancy issues in Gentoo, it's not a good idea to unmerge core-utils. I just
wish someone had told me that first! (Stop sniggering back there).

Steve

--
"Hardware - the part of the computer you kick when the software fails"
Email: steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com