[Newark] Summary (was: This month's meeting)

Steve Caddy steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 26 17:29:41 UTC 2009

Steve Caddy wrote:
> This month's meeting should be tomorrow, Tuesday 25th August, at the Rose and
> Crown in Balderton from 8pm.

Well... thanks to everyone who turned up. We still haven't managed to break
through our record turnout of 4, but there's hope yet. No idea why the Rose
and Crown was so busy last night - one of the reasons for picking Tuesday
night is that it's normally empty in there - at least there was more space in
Chesters (does going to two pubs in one evening count as a pub crawl?)

As usual at Newark LUG meetings, there was more drinking than Linux, with the
added bonus of chips (possibly a good reason to go to Chesters again at some
point)

Also a welcome to Alistair - nice to meet you, next time I'll see if I can
arrange something so you don't have to walk all the way from town. I'm sorry I
didn't manage to get round to asking what flavour of Linux you use - the
conversation just wasn't going that way. In the words of members of Mansfield
LUG when they came to visit, "Ah! Busted! This is a drinking society!".

There has been a suggestion that we have a curry night in town at some point
in the next couple of weeks. My suggestion is for a Thursday night, possibly
10th September, at the Asha (Stodman Street). Who else would be interested in
that?

Other news, that I didn't manage to discuss last night:

- My Gentoo running RaQ4 rebooted itself the other night after 605 days
uptime. I've no idea why. I'm hoping the hardware isn't about to fail on me.

- Is it me, or is get_iplayer getting more and more awkward to use? Every time
I use it (which is about once per month) I'm sure the command line gets more
and more complicated. For my latest use, I had to download a binary for
flvstreamer, and the command line I ended up using to grab a programme was:

get_iplayer --pid b00ftddv -g --force --mode flash --flvstreamer
~scaddy/flvstreamer_ubuntu-jackalope-x86-32bit_latest

Finally... I've been offered a job at Vodafone, so once again I'm in
employment, and I'm happy :-)

Regards

Steve

--