[Nottingham] via kt4 Ultra Raid Board...any good with linux?

Matthew Sackman nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Dec 1 18:16:01 2002

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 12:13:00AM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> So which bits "are not *solely* related to use with ENBD either"?
> (Yes, I know it appears I'm being a stubborn bastard on this point -
> that's because I *am* a stubborn bastard but I'm also interested in
> arguments based on technical merit not rhetoric so show me the facts and
> I'll be happy)
>
> I'll admit the documentation (well manpages) leave something to be
> desired but the RAID HOWTO is fairly good (or at least was when I first
> setup RAID).

OK, try this then:
Get two SCA SCSI harddiscs and set up a software RAID 1 array across
partitions on the 2 disks.

Set the array running and format it, mount it, start running data into
it. Remove one of the disks.

Insert it back in. Run raidhotadd and try to get it to accept the new
disk.

Repeat this 25 times and not how many times raidhotadd gives you some
stupid error message and refuses to play ball.

*NONE* of the problems I noted are specific to ENBD. ENBD simply appears
as a normal block device, no different to a local hard disc or cdrom or
whatever. There is no special code in the mdtools to deal with ENBD -
ENBD is completely transparent.

--
Matthew Sackman

BOFH excuse #228:
That function is not currently supported, but Bill Gates assures us it will be featured in the next upgrade.