[Nottingham] via kt4 Ultra Raid Board...any good with linux?

Simon Huggins nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 2 00:45:01 2002

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 06:15:31PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 12:13:00AM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > So which bits "are not *solely* related to use with ENBD either"?
> > (Yes, I know it appears I'm being a stubborn bastard on this point -
> > that's because I *am* a stubborn bastard but I'm also interested in
> > arguments based on technical merit not rhetoric so show me the facts and
> > I'll be happy)
> > I'll admit the documentation (well manpages) leave something to be
> > desired but the RAID HOWTO is fairly good (or at least was when I first
> > setup RAID).
> OK, try this then:
> Get two SCA SCSI harddiscs and set up a software RAID 1 array across
> partitions on the 2 disks.

> Set the array running and format it, mount it, start running data into
> it. Remove one of the disks.

> Insert it back in. Run raidhotadd and try to get it to accept the new
> disk.

I've not had the luxury of doing this with hotswap drives but it worked
fine for me without.

What did raidhotadd say?

> Repeat this 25 times and not how many times raidhotadd gives you some
> stupid error message and refuses to play ball.

I've not played with SCA as I said above but did you do the relevant
proc magic as described in the HOWTO?
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.2

> *NONE* of the problems I noted are specific to ENBD. ENBD simply
> appears as a normal block device, no different to a local hard disc or
> cdrom or whatever. There is no special code in the mdtools to deal
> with ENBD - ENBD is completely transparent.

Right, but as I've rebuilt failed disk RAID1 arrays myself I find it
hard to believe that it could have caused you so much pain.

Simon

--
... "1 girl was just abducted."--FM "Kidnapped."--DS "Potato, potato.."-FM