[Nottingham] Cleaning Up disk

Paul Sladen nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Dec 19 14:42:00 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:
> /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/atari/atari-de-deadkeys.kmap.gz
> /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/atari/atari-de-emacs.kmap.gz
> /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/atari/atari-de-kmap.gz
> /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/atari/atari-se-deadkeys.kmap.gz
> /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/atari/atari-se-kmap.gz
> /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/atari/atari-us-deadkeys.kmap.gz
> /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/atari/atari-us-kmap.gz

Yeah, these are keyboard mapping for other keyboard layouts, or can delete
them although your packaging system may get a little upset.  They are also
already compressed so you're not going to be saving much.

> /usr/man/de/man1/tar.1.gz
> /usr/man/es/man1/tar.1.gz
> /usr/man/es/man3/va_start.3.gz

Foreign-language man [help] pages.  I blame Redhat personally.

> I am not running any X server, the box has a minimal install on it. I'm
> just confused why anything other than English UK would have been installed.

If you're wanting the ability to /choose/ a minimal install, then I would
recommend looking at Debian since it installs the minimum by default and
allows you to install more--rather than the other way around (eg: install
lots and making you try and work out what you can rip-out yourself).

I suspect that uninstalling some package/application will probably recover
you more space than deleting all of the above.

	-Paul
--
Nottingham, GB