[Nottingham] via kt4 Ultra Raid Board...any good with linux?

Simon Huggins nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Nov 30 00:14:00 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 03:20:37PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:52:12PM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 07:43:18PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> > Hmm, rereading your mail you seem to be saying it doesn't work with
> > ENBD.  ENBD doesn't appear to be in standard kernels either.
> No it's not. There were movements to get it into 2.4 but it didn't make
> it for whatever reasons. The issues are not *solely* related to use with
> ENBD either.

And then you go on to quote your particular example about ENBD.

> > > The tools are inconsistent in their behaviour and documentation.
> > Do you have specifics here or is this only ENBD specific too?
> It is not specific to use with ENBD, however these problems were
> realised when I was working with ENBD. The thread starts at
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.enbd.general/8 and goes up to
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.enbd.general/29

> However, the large issues are around:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.enbd.general/19 and there abouts,

Which is where you state what you've stated on this list.

> but reading the full thread explains the problems in full.

Not really.  It explains why Linux Software RAID isn't good for use over
ENBD but not why it's crap in its intended configuration in one machine
yet you persist in claiming it is without giving any good, hard facts.
It's getting harder to believe this.

So which bits "are not *solely* related to use with ENBD either"?
(Yes, I know it appears I'm being a stubborn bastard on this point -
that's because I *am* a stubborn bastard but I'm also interested in
arguments based on technical merit not rhetoric so show me the facts and
I'll be happy)

I'll admit the documentation (well manpages) leave something to be
desired but the RAID HOWTO is fairly good (or at least was when I first
setup RAID).

--
 ,--huggie-at-earth-dot-li--------stuff-thing-stuff----------DF5CE2B4--.
_|          "You were able to grow John Barnett a new hand?"          |_