[Nottingham] via kt4 Ultra Raid Board...any good with linux?

Matthew Sackman nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Nov 29 15:21:00 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:52:12PM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 07:43:18PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> Hmm, rereading your mail you seem to be saying it doesn't work with
> ENBD.  ENBD doesn't appear to be in standard kernels either.

No it's not. There were movements to get it into 2.4 but it didn't make
it for whatever reasons. The issues are not *solely* related to use with
ENBD either.

> > The tools are inconsistent in their behaviour and documentation.
> Do you have specifics here or is this only ENBD specific too?

It is not specific to use with ENBD, however these problems were
realised when I was working with ENBD. The thread starts at
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.enbd.general/8 and goes up to
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.enbd.general/29

However, the large issues are around:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.enbd.general/19 and there abouts,
but reading the full thread explains the problems in full. The worst
tool is raidhotadd which is nuts. I ended up resorting to having to use:
mkraid --really-force --dangerous-no-resync /dev/md0
raidsetfaulty /dev/md0 /dev/hdyy
raidstop /dev/md0
raidstart /dev/md0
raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/hdyy

in order to *reliably* for the addition of hdyy into the array,
resyncing to the contents of the surviving disks. Raidtabs etc are all
in the thread if you want to read it.

Matthew
--
Matthew Sackman