[Nottingham] Partitioning works now but can't boot

Matthew Sackman nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 10 13:36:00 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 12:02:32PM +0200, Martin Waryniak wrote:
> I don't know why but Redhat made the main partition ext3 whereas
> Partition Magic 7 had previsouly made it ext2. Is there a difference?

Put simply, ext3 is ext2 with better mechanisms for recovering a disk if
the computer was turned off badly (eg power cut). More complicatedly,
ext3 does journalling in several different degrees. The default is not
to journal meta data (same as reiserfs and xfs and jfs) but you can get
it to journal meta data if you want (at the cost of a performance hit).

There's been a really good series of articles on all of the linux
journalling filesystems on the ibm linux developer site:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/

the article I'm referring to is at:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs.html?dwzone=linux
and is definately worth a read,

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman

BOFH Excuse Board:
The air conditioning water supply pipe ruptured over the machine room