[Nottingham] setting up firewall for broadband

Godfrey Nix nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Oct 13 00:28:01 2002

Hi,

Finally I am getting a broadband connection from NTL (next week). But I need
some advice on setting up a firewall. I have built a machine with ethernet
for my LAN, and USB for the broadband (that is what I am told is their
preferred connection). But I find my copy of SmoothWall 0.9.5LF from a
coverdisk does not support USB devices, unly a serial dial-up modem. That is
no use on broadband.

Is there some other Firewall I can use on the machine (486, 32Mb with 460Mb
disk) or can I get SmoothWall to work with USB? How do I configure the USB
for the cable modem?

TIA

Godfrey