[Nottingham] setting up firewall for broadband

Jon Masters nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Oct 13 02:11:01 2002

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Godfrey Nix wrote:

> How do I configure the USB for the cable modem?

The NTL cable modem I have is not supported AFAIAA and I wouldn't
recommend using it. An ethernet card would be ideal for that - I've got
some old 3C905X's around somewhere...but you've probably got cards :-)

Incidentally, I run my Reading ADSL on a Debian Woody box with grsecurity,
iptables, and a few little customisations to keep the little fsckers out.
The Nottingham side of things (yes I promise to sort this soon, Johannes)
is currently running off an embedded Linux box but will eventually have
Woody/grsecurity/etc. too - I prefer that, it's reasonably secure and it's
pleasant. Allows for additional apache, squirrelmail, vpn, whatever too.

Jon.