[Nottingham] setting up firewall for broadband

Lee nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Oct 14 19:10:01 2002

Hmm, I'd avoid usb if possible, and go for an cable modem with an
ethernet port. I had to reprogram my mac address on my linux firewall's
network card,
just because I could'nt face anymore time on NTL 'hold' to get it
changed (and then for the guy/girl/thing at the other end to type my mac
address wrong), but it rather trivial operation. But apart from that it
was fairly painless with smoothwall, and I've had good result, I've had
good results with IPcop too..... not checked out astro security linux,
too many distro's so little time :-).

You can get usb working, if you really really want, but you may want to
have real fun later, like sticking dedicated IDS system on the outside
of your firewall for instance, I'm not heard of any passive usb sniffers
..

Laters,
Lee
(snort,snort, chortle, chortle)