[Nottingham] BYO Linux

Roger Light nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 14:26:00 2003

Hi all,

Does anybody have reasonable experience of Build Your Own Linux ( =
http://www.byolinux.org ) or otherwise building a Linux system from =
scratch?=20

I have been following the instructions on byolinux and have so far got a =
separate partition for the new installation, have created the directory =
structure (including the contents of dev), have copied /boot/ to /mnt/linux=
2/boot, /etc/passwd and /etc/group (non-shadow) to /mnt/linux2/etc, =
reconfigured lilo and installed statically compiled versions of init, =
sulogin and so  on and bash. passwd and group have been pared down to just =
hold the root entries. I've also created an inittab file like so:

id:S:initdefault:
~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin
z6:6:wait:/sbin/sulogin
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

which is how byolinux suggest.

Now when I boot into linux2 it goes along fine but then complains that =
sulogin cannot open the password database.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Cheers,

Roger