[Nottingham] Problems configuring second network card

David Luff nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Apr 5 23:43:00 2003

Robert Davies writes:

> David you don't mention what distro you're running, it does help to include
> more specific information.  SuSE for example makes it very easy to configure
> 2nd network cards from a GUI, and RH and Mandrake have similar solutions.

Doh - forgot about that! (it was late).  I'm on Libranet 2.0 essentials (ie the free downloadable version) which is basically Debian Woody/Sarge with a nicer installer and a few graphical tools for configuration.

> Your first step would be to find out by which driver the card is supported.
> Google, the SuSE hardware database and Red Hat's release compatability
> information tend to be good sources.
>
> eth1: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xec00, 00:50:BF:9D:FE:FC, IRQ 11.
>
> Now I have this in /etc/modules.conf and the onboard chip is an 8139C.

Great - I've been at it some more and I'm pretty sure the card is detected OK.  In /etc/modules.conf I've got:

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/libranet-ethernet
# Generated by the Libranet Adminmenu
# Please do not edit.

alias libranet-ethernet-0 8139too
alias libranet-ethernet-1 tulip

I've checked, and apparently the tulip driver is the right one for the SMC card I've got (which is meant to be eth1), so I'm pretty sure this is OK.

> Obviously you need to use a static address, and you might find it convenient
> to run a DHCP server (keeps network config on one machine) and caching DNS
> server, plus HTTP & ftp proxy like wwwoffle or squid on the gateway to
> support the 'doze hosts.

There's only one 'doze machine (my wife's) and given our respective taste in web sites I'm sure there would be absolutely zero network traffic saved by a caching proxy :-)

Cheers - Dave