[Nottingham] Problems configuring second network card

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Apr 6 11:01:01 2003

On Sunday 06 Apr 2003 00:50, David Luff wrote:

> There's only one 'doze machine (my wife's) and given our respective taste
> in web sites I'm sure there would be absolutely zero network traffic saved
> by a caching proxy :-)

It's still a good idea, it means websites putting out illegal pages get=20
validated by a 'client' that you keep updated and is open to scrutiny and=20
source audit.  These do happen, you just need to look at the number of=20
security advisories about which have no known exploit out in the wild.

Coincidentally I just read this morning 'Brave Gnu World' section in Linux=
=20
Magazine, it talks about a GUI configuration tool for Debian called MagiCon=
f,=20
could be a major time saver (it supports both Qt and GTK+ interfaces).  I'm=
=20
not sure whether Libranet peculiarities would confuse it, but it seems to b=
e=20
almost 'local software', http://magiconf.sheflug.co.uk, so I'm sure you can=
=20
find somebody clueful in event of troubles, on their list.

Readable config files in published documented formats are important, but=20
there's no harm in using GUI tools for first cuts, that you can later tweak=
=2E =20
At moment I'm toying with Gentoo, though I mainly use SuSE, and it's a huge=
=20
timesaver being able to merge in working config files like XF86Config.

=46rom the screen shot of the network section, it showed a machine with mul=
tiple=20
network interfaces, so it ought not to have any problem sorting things for=
=20
you, 'find /etc -cmin -10' will show you what files changed in /etc in last=
=20
10 minutes, to help you see what alterations are made.

Rob