[Nottingham] Problems configuring second network card

Andy Brown nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Apr 6 10:35:01 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, David Luff wrote:

>> Also have you got ip forwarding set up?
>>
>> ie: what does
>>
>> cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>>
>> show (it should be 1) if not echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>>

>cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward gives 0 :-(
>
>After echo "1" > /proc/sys... it still gives 0.
>
>I assume this means that I'm not forwarding any packets from the local machine
>to the outside, or possibly visca-versca?  Is this likely to be a
>problem with the setup of my firewall script (MonMotha) or with some
>other configuration option somewhere?

Have you got IP forwarding enabled in the kernel?
That is, is CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER set? (erm, IP: advanced routing
under Networking options)

Doubt this would have any efect on the interface problem.
Looking at my firewall I don't appear to have any aliases for eth1 and
eth0, but it seems to be working fine, probably because the networking
stuff is compiled into the kernel rathre than being in modules

--
Andy B