[Nottingham] Problems configuring second network card

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Apr 6 11:01:02 2003

On Sunday 06 Apr 2003 10:34, Andy Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, David Luff wrote:

> Have you got IP forwarding enabled in the kernel?
> That is, is CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER set? (erm, IP: advanced routing
> under Networking options)

Hey!  This option does not control forwarding, but wether the kernel
networking is optimised for acting as a router, or a client, and permits you
to select lots of sexy stuff like fair queueing, and traffic shaping with
iproute2.

> Doubt this would have any efect on the interface problem.
> Looking at my firewall I don't appear to have any aliases for eth1 and
> eth0, but it seems to be working fine, probably because the networking
> stuff is compiled into the kernel rathre than being in modules

Hence th e qualification in initial response, but either missing kernel
support, or not configuring the module was the most likely cause of the lack
of the non-recognition of the NIC.

Rob