[Nottingham] Mail Routing

Graeme Fowler nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Apr 6 20:49:00 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 18:26, .waffle wrote:
> Please ignore my last mail - I've now worked it out - Debian automatically
> dumps the result of fetchmail into the mail folder, and imap jsut reads that
> folder.

Erm, that's not quite true. If you just tell fetchmail to, erm, fetch
mail, then it'll put it in the mailbox of the user running the job.

It's equally feasible to bump the mail off to a remote SMTP server (cf.
Elm's "bounce" function). This is one of my .fetchmailrc entries:

# START .procmailrc
set postmaster "graeme"
set bouncemail
set properties ""
poll pop.ntlworld.com with proto POP3
       user 'USERNAME' there with password 'PASSWORD' is graeme here
options warnings 3600
    smtphost  graemef.net
    antispam 571 550 501 554
# END

That fetches the mail from pop.ntlworld.com and bounces it into my
primary SMTP host. From there I can do all manner of clever stuff. Like
reading it.

As with most useful software, you may find "man fetchmail" an
interesting read.

Graeme
--
Graeme Fowler <graeme@graemef.net>