[Nottingham] Installfest Proposal

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 10 19:34:02 2003

On 10 Apr 2003, Robert Postill wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 17:18, .waffle wrote:
> Right this is a definate possibility, what I'd like to see is a distro that we
> settle on (probably SuSE) and then those people who do bring along kit already
> have drivers pre-compiled and working.  That requires a bit of organisation but
> I'd like to get those people who would like to donate kit etc together
> beforehand so there is a proper kit list and some spares in case
> anything smokes.

remember, the install servers don't have to be running SuSe just
an ftp/http/tftp... server.

> This also brings up a point that if anyone has a car (preferably a large
> one. 21" monitors bugger the suspension on Ford Ka's, just ask my
> girlfriend :) and wouldn't mind playing taxi, that'd be cool.

Don't have a car atm but may have by then.

<snip>
	Good reason for not wanting to burn lots of CDs
</snip>

I'm with Robert on this one.

> > Well, that seems sensible, but I'd like to see Debian support there too... I
> > do love Debian with a passion :)
> Like all distros Debian has its place, if you feel the need to bang the Debian
> drum come up with a demonstration of Debian's capabilities.  We will need some
> eye-catching, professional-looking stuff on show for the look but don't
> touch crowd.

I think Debian 'au naturar' is a bit rough for a newcomber.  Knoppix on the other hand may be a possibility, especially as a 'look before you jump'.

Any Knoppix users able and willing to comment ?

More random thoughts -

backups and hdd partitioning.
I guess we should think about backing up people's data
before we trash it ;)

Demo machines - machines running software for people to try.

Does anyone have contacts in other LUGs who have run install days ?
Their experience(s) would be valuable.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,