[Nottingham] Installfest Proposal

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 10 19:47:00 2003

Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

> <snip>
> 	Good reason for not wanting to burn lots of CDs
> </snip>
>
> I'm with Robert on this one.

Or burn them via Linux at the time. An interested bod will be willing to
wait the few mins or so for the burn whilst discussing the fine points
of Linux.

> I think Debian 'au naturar' is a bit rough for a newcomber.  Knoppix on the other hand may be a possibility, especially as a 'look before you jump'.
>
> Any Knoppix users able and willing to comment ?

My interest was rekindled with "DemoLinux" that boots/runs from CD...

> More random thoughts -
>
> backups and hdd partitioning.
> I guess we should think about backing up people's data
> before we trash it ;)

Very good point!

Have them read and sign a (SHORT) disclaimer in case their hard drive
physically dies from accessing parts of the disk never before accessed.

> Demo machines - machines running software for people to try.

Yep, both old and new. (I've got an old 8088 that would be good to
resurrect - small challenge there... (;-))

> Does anyone have contacts in other LUGs who have run install days ?
> Their experience(s) would be valuable.

Sheffield have a recentish fest on their web site.

Happy hacking,

martin@ml1.co.uk