[Nottingham] Installfest Proposal

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 11 12:25:00 2003

On Friday 11 Apr 2003 10:46, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Martin wrote:
> > Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

> > Or burn them via Linux at the time. An interested bod will be willing to
> > wait the few mins or so for the burn whilst discussing the fine points
> > of Linux.
>
> <back_of_envelope>
>
> If (distro == SuSe) burning own CD's = bad idea (YaST not GPL)

You're not allowed to charge for copies, even to cover costs, but the full
distribution includes some commercial software which is not meant to be
redistributed without agreement, though normally it's also available for free
download trials from supplier websites.

I'm just installing SuSE 8.2 from DVD which arrived today, the hardware
detection seems to work faster than previous.  First attempt crashed, so I've
had to try the "ACPI disabled" option, guess the BIOS check which turned ACPI
off on pre-2000 BIOS's has been disabled.  SuSE have in past provided a boot
install CD with rescue system ISO for free download, in the boot images
section of ftp site, along with boot floppies.

Frankly if you have a broadband Internet connection, CD ISO's are not really
needed later, as installing via HTTP or ftp (less preferable) server is not a
painful experience.  It would be much better to use NICs, and configure a
firewall, so the new Linux user can go home and hit the ground running.

Well the Install has already completed the box is rebooting, one 'doze like
touch, the default changed to 'Boot from Hard Disk' so the Install media does
not need removing, it seemed faster maybe the rpm's are fetched from ROM in
background.

Rob