[Nottingham] apt-proxy

Simon Huggins nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 11 20:00:01 2003

'ello Andy

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:36:29PM +0100, Andy Brown wrote:
> Well, now I remember why I don't use it. The example config file isn't
> any help, nor is the documentation.  The mailing list archives aren't
> much use either.

Well I managed :-p

> I've obviously got something wrong in the apt-proxy.conf, as I keep
> gettng 404 not supported by server errors, so if anybody can provide
> me with a working .conf I'd appreciate it.

You could equally have something wrong in your sources.list

Are you getting apt-proxy to log somewhere?
Add /tmp/apt-proxy.log to the end of the line in inetd.conf and see if
that helps solve anything.

In apt-proxy.conf I have:
APT_CACHE=/data/apt-proxy
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Adjust to suit your install
add_backend /security/                          \
        $APT_CACHE/debian/security/             \
	http://security.debian.org/debian-security/

add_backend /non-US/                            \
        $APT_CACHE/debian/non-US/               \
	ftp.uk.debian.org::debian-non-US/

add_backend /                                   \
        $APT_CACHE/debian/                      \
	ftp.uk.debian.org::debian/

And in my sources.list on a client I have:
deb http://byers.x:9999/ sarge main contrib non-free
deb http://byers.x:9999/non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://byers.x:9999/security woody/updates main contrib non-free

Which is for sarge (and woody-updates in case a woody security fix ever
has a higher version than a package in sarge).

Hope this helps.

Simon.

--
oOoOo  "JarJar Binks^W^WSupport for CRLF<->LF translation in the   oOoOo
 oOoOo             kernel must die." - Alexander Viro             oOoOo