[Nottingham] Compiler problem - 2nd attempt

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 25 20:40:01 2003

On Friday 25 Apr 2003 17:22, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Bunter Matthew wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Problem - Mandrake 8.2 when doing  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
> > I get :
> > C compiler cannot create executables
> > It is a brand spanking new fresh install. Only modification I did was to
> > change the time.

> Make sure you have the correct permissions on /usr/bin/gcc or /usr/bin/cc
> (or whichever flavour of gcc/cc is installed) to allow you, as a non-root
> user, to run it.
>
> Even more pertinent: make sure it's installed!

If it's tricky to post installation add all the packages required for
'development' ie gcc, binutils, flex, bison etc, then you might find it worth
trying distro produced rpm's of MySQL and a PHP enabled Apache.

It should only take a few minutes to install those (once you've downloaded
them and they're probably on your install CD anyway).  They're likely to work
well enough to follow the book examples. The -ql option of rpm can show you
the pathnames of files installed should you need them later.

Rob