[Nottingham] Re: Debian keymaps (was: NLUG Links page (Was: ...))

Simon Huggins nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 10:47:01 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 09:56:33AM +0100, James Duncan wrote:
> Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> >>Try something like:
> >> # loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/uk.kmap.gz
> >Been there done it no worked :(
> >It afflict both my debian testing boxes.  I cannot remember if
> >it happens on my stable box.
> Try upgrading to unstable.  I am running it and despite the name my
> uptime is currently at aroud a month with no X/desktop instablility
> (cept with the slightly wonky leg on my desk).

ARGH!  Don't perpetuate jcm's insanity and like him recommend that
people with problems upgrade to unstable.  The problem and your solution
are orthogonal from what I can see but you end up with people running
unstable with no real way of (safely) downgrading (in spite of apt
pinning support).

And then they'll get a bad impression of Debian when things break.  Or
something eats some important file etc. etc.

My testing system is fine for pound signs as far as I remember (though
I'm away from it at the moment).

Might it be that the problem is that the pound sign isn't an ASCII
character but rather an ISO-8859-1 one?

I'll try some things out on my console at home once I get back there and
see if I can find out why it doesn't work for you.

Simon.

--
 -+//             But what if Sarris survives? - Mathesar              \\+-
-+<<       Oh, I don't think so. I gave him both barrels. - Jason       >>+-