NLUG Links page (Was: [Nottingham] Basford Nottingham computer shop)

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 12:58:00 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, paul wrote:

> > but     http://www.rydertech.co.uk/
> > 	would not (sorry) because as it stands the hardware is a side-line for a company
> > 	whose main business does not (obviously) promote the use of free software and
> > 	might draw business away from those who do.
>
> Surely not!
>
> Rydertech should qualify as we supply and support custom linux firewall
> solutions to business. (That is promoting Linux in good light - I think)

This was not apparent from the information to hand ie. your email and the
link contained therein.

>   Do you know how hard it actually is to sell a large organisation
> anything that is not 'doze related?

No, I just eat muesli.

> Why not promote local businesses that will setup and support Linux
> solutions?

And the thread was about ?

> We (me and a mate who run the company) - are new to Linux but that
> doesnt mean that we should be discounted because we havent supplied
> anyone with a bit of cheap memory ;)
>
> I guess I need to update the site to reflect this - and will when when I
> have a free moment. Its a bit tucked away at the moment but there
> certainly is reference to what we do with linux at the mo. (not least
> administering our web server!)

I'm not looking for websites blazoned with logos proclaiming free software
or all, just information and not necesarily on your web-site.

> Cheers
> Paul

Sorry, but your request was a very good example for my request for feed back.
You asked to be linked but failed to give any information with which
I could answer the questions:

1. "In what way does this person/company/... promote the use of and/or the
   ideals of free (as in speech) software"

2. "Do I feel this person/company/... provides something (such as hardware)
   that other members of the lug may find useful ?"

So,
123-Reg is a local company (aka Host Europe) which do not advertise/promote use
of 'free software' but they do offer something (domain registration) members of the
LUG might find useful.

web-systems is a local company which do not advertise/promote use
of 'free software' but they do offer something (hardware) members of the LUG might find
useful.

www.19inch.net is run by Paul Sladen an active member of the lug who we know does
good deeds wrt 'free software' and so giving him a link (if he wanted it) is
not a problem.

www.rydertech.co.uk I have now been told is a local company run by you and your mate who
are new to Linux (welcome, how did the apache configuration go btw ?), finds it hard
selling to large organisation anything not 'doze related (Try caffine, I find it keeps
the doze at bay for a few minutes at least), administers its web server via linux which
I am guessing form the earlier thread runs on a linux box.
Which is a darn site more than I knew before.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,