NLUG Links page (Was: [Nottingham] Basford Nottingham computershop)

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 15:46:01 2003

Roger Light wrote:

 >> What do people consider local ? I'm thinking NG post codes only
 >> but there are bound to be exceptions.
 >
 > That sounds as good a criterion as any.
 >

 >> on what basis should I accept/decline requests for linking ?
 >
 > [snip]
 >
 >> My inclination is to judge things on individual contributions to
 >> the lug and or promotion of free software and the community .
 >
 > Again, I think this is the best way to go. It would be all too easy
 > to be flooded with links and so make the list less useful (would
 > anyone really want to trawl through 100+ links looking for the good
 >  ones?).
 >
 > I guess we want links that we as a group want to support which means
 >  hardware and free software as you said.
 >
 > I'm sure everyone knows where PC world and Maplins are anyway :)

I agree.

The links should be useful for the NLUG supporters for this locality and
not an encyclopaedic nor advertising mess.

I run a very short fuse for advertising links that waste my time!

To avoid too many wrangles and debate over what should or should not go
in, why not just have the links split into seperate pages for hardware
(shops, & online mail order), Linux software, and then further pages for
such as Linux prominent services providers and then finally a misc page
for 'dubious'.

I feel there must be a __primary__ or at least prominent Linux
connection for accepting 'advertising' links.

Also, no point in duplicating existing links lists posted elsewhere.

(Aside: I think such as Maplin and PCWorld should go in, even if at the
bottom of the list, because they have shops here that can be useful on
occasion. The other 'electrical retail stores' are too numerous and too
far off computers to bother with.)

Regards,

martin@ml1.co.uk