[Nottingham] network security in Linux!

Martin Waryniak nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 19:54:01 2003

Hi everybody,

I haven't posted for a while on the LUG and also haven't made it to any
of the meetings since March, just been stuck in a lot of (partially)
pointless coursework. Hopefully I will be able to make for the showing
of Revolution OS.

Anyway, the reason for my post, I am currently looking for an idea for
my final year group project I have to do as a CompSci student. I am
interested in netowrk security and cryptography and have read a couple
of books on the topics but do not know much "practical" stuff. I was
just wondering, has anyone got any ideas on a project in that area
(preferably in a Unix/Linux) environment? Are there any bugs or security
holes that you are aware of or find annoying in Linux or Unix that you
think a (semi) skilled programmer with interest in that area can fix? Or
have you got an idea for a tool that would increase security for a Linux
machine on a network, etc.

I understand that you are not going to do my project for me, I am just
looking for some inspiration. As Unix and Linux are often used as
webservers etc. I was hoping that some of you might have experiene with
network security in Linux.
Thanks a lot everybody!

Martin Waryniak
School of Computer Science