[Nottingham] network security in Linux!

Lee nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 22:12:02 2003

Hmm, have a look at snort, lids, and tripwire...

there fun, might give you a few idea//

s/wan / stunnel are fun too....

so's ssh....

linux journal has a article this month about the cryto API for linux, an
interesting read....

I guess, if had the time to write a tool, it would have to be a layer 7
analysys tool, perhaps loggin tcp/udp connections at the application
layer??? perhaps???

or doing some sort of traffic/usage analysis on network traffic to or
from a machine to detect any weird behaviour....

,you could just scout linux code for buffer overflows, always good on a
rainy sunday ;-)....

Freenet's alway a good project to get involved with, you gotta help the
chinese out somehow...:-))))

As for an Idea to make a Computer more secure, well my idea is a large
water proof safe, with a computer inside it, it also involves expanse of
deep sea water (atlantic perhaps) and a large amount of digging do you
get the picture...????? :-)))

There does seems to be a glut of layer 2,3,4 tools for network loggin,
tracking and analysis, but not much that brings that together with
analysis of layer 7, it's a difficult job, as every application creates
log differently....:-(

Perhaps, if you really bored (or want to get top marks) you could build
me a secure user authentication system for naan which uses certifcates
and a bit of mobile IP??? wireless always makes it more fun.

Laters,
Lee