[Nottingham] network security in Linux!

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 22:29:00 2003

Lee wrote:

[...]
> I guess, if had the time to write a tool, it would have to be a layer 7
> analysys tool, perhaps loggin tcp/udp connections at the application
> layer??? perhaps???

[... LOTS OF LAZY BOTTOM POSTING ZAPPED ...]

Just a random thought...

There's a hole in the Linux apps portfolio in that there are lots of
front ends to ipchains/iptables for configuring a packet based firewall,
but nothing that also hooks whether or not a particular application on
the local machine is permitted whatever access or not (a la ZoneAlarm in
the Windoze world for example). The hooks are there in the kernal
suposedly... Just needs someone to try them.

(But then again... The need for this is nothing like as great as in the
Windozy world.)

Have fun,

martin@ml1.co.uk