[Nottingham] SuSE 8.2 install problems

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 30 16:37:00 2003

On Tuesday 29 Apr 2003 22:11, Martin Clough wrote:
> Derek Huskisson wrote:
>
> [boot problem snipped]
>
> Thanks to everyone who replied.
>
> > Hello Martin
> > If you want to restore the XP boot-up then you will need your XP
> > install CD (if Bill Gates has let you have one.)
> >   Boot up from this and select r (for recovery) when you get your
> > first  menu.
>
> I think this is what I need to do.  However, bill (or sony) did not let me
> have a boot
> disk, just some crappy recovery CDs.  Sony support say that I have no
> option but
> to recover the whole system from these CDs!
>
> I'm tempted, therefore, to try to install LILO or GRUB onto the hard disk,
> with
> windows as the default (for the other family members, you understand!).

Have a look in the /boot directory, most likely you have an MBR backup file,
named for the disk device (try ls -l /dev/hd?), IIRC hda is .0300 or similar.

When lilo was installed it is usual to back up the previous boot sector, so
you may well be able to follow info on uninstalling lilo (see SuSE manuals or
HOWTOs) to restore the XP boot manager without booting XP.

Rob