[Nottingham] SuSE 8.2 install problems

Derek Huskisson nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 30 14:07:00 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 22:11, Martin Clough wrote:

> I think this is what I need to do.  However, bill (or sony) did not let me
> have a boot
> disk, just some crappy recovery CDs.  Sony support say that I have no option
> but
> to recover the whole system from these CDs!
>
> I'm tempted, therefore, to try to install LILO or GRUB onto the hard disk,
> with
> windows as the default (for the other family members, you understand!).
>
> Martin Clough

You can probably still use the restore MBR method from your Sony
recovery CDs. I don't think they change the MS supplied discs all that
much. One of them is probably just a standard MS XP CD, but 'tied' to a
Sony BIOS to help prevent piracy so MS can pay a dividend again next
year !!

Don't forget you can install a LILO or Grub boot onto a floppy disk, so
you  can practice that way.
		HTH
			Derek Huskisson

--