OO demo (Re: [Nottingham] Hanson Chinese Meeting Update)

Roger Light nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Aug 11 18:56:02 2003

Hi Martin,

>> A simple example (as I know you're all dying to see :)
>>=20
>> I_{PD} =3D I_{DC} + I_{AC} cdot sin(2 %pi cdot f_{i} cdot t + %phi)
>>=20
>> That's the other beauty of course - you could paste that into OO and
>> see my equation. You couldn't do that easily with Word. Woo.
>
>And very nice it renders to for a formula of an ac waveform with dc
>offset and phase shift. Looks rather similar to the old latex system.

Ah, never used latex. You're right about the formula :)

>...So how do you get it to produce a pretty graph?

Yeah, that'd be nice. I was actually using OO to keep a nice tidy track of =
a reasonably complicated derivation I was trying to work through, the =
above being just the first given. If I could have just asked it to solve =
for a given coefficient it would be very nice...

Seriously though, if I wanted a graph of a formula I'd probably use octave =
(another killer app for scientists - free matlab replacement) to generate =
some data or else just do it straight in a spreadsheet with OO if it =
wasn't too messy an equation.

Cheers,

Roger