[Nottingham] Rootkit/break in

Johannes Kling nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 12 12:18:01 2003

Hello,

> Have you any more evidence that this machine was cracked?

Yes. More files surfaced:
/tmp/sand/ava (google seems to suggest Adore, an LKM kit based on this)
/tmp/sand/chattr.tgz
/tmp/sand/informatii
/tmp/sand/install
/tmp/sand/kde.c
/tmp/sand/mail
/tmp/sand/pico.tgz
/tmp/sand/sshd
/tmp/sand/sysinfo
/tmp/sand/wget.tgz

/usr/bin/lpi: short shell script:
  #!/bin/sh
  bb=`pwd`
  cd /usr/bin
  "(swapd)" &
  cd $bb

/usr/bin/logclear: another shell script
  killall -9 /usr/bin/"(swapd)"
  rm -rf /usr/bin/tcp.log
  touch /usr/bin/tcp.log
  "(swapd)" >tcp.log &

/usr/bin/sense: a longer shell script, identifying itself on line two
# Sorts the output from LinSniffer 0.03 [BETA] by Mike Edulla <medulla@infosoc.com>

This actually provided the first tangible hint as to what was used.

> If chrootkit is indecisive (how did it fail BTW ?)

It  reported a  few files  as infected,  then hung  on testing  on for
particular  rootkits (hung  as in  made  no visible  progress for  ~30
mins).  I'll admit  that I  wasn't as  careful as  I could've  been in
"fixing" as little as possible  before running again (and again, until
it finally decided to run to completion).

> I would think more in terms of file system corruption

Unless  it chose  to corrupt  in a  very determined  fashion,  this is
definitely not the problem.

Since I have something to go on now, I'll hopefully have a better idea
about what was going on. If anyone has any more ideas however, I'd
still be grateful :-).

Regards,
  Johannes Kling