[Nottingham] Motherboard problem

Michael Leuty nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 19 20:44:01 2003

Dear List,

This is not really a Linux problem, but I'd be grateful for your advice.

When I got home last night my PC wouldn't start. Nothing happened when
turned on. I assumed that the power supply had failed, and this
afternoon I bought and installed a new one. But it still won't work.

There is an LED on the motherboard which lights when there is power to
the board. This LED is lit. However, the power light on the front of the
PC is not lit, and pushing the on button makes no difference. I have
also tried replacing the CMOS battery.

When I say nothing happens, I mean that the power supply doesn't even
start working (the fans don't start). No POST, no nothing.

The last time the PC worked the clock had got out of sync, and ntpd
didn't seem to be working. I used a manual command to correct the system
time, but at shutdown there was a long delay and the screen reported
problems in changing the hardware time (I can't remember the exact error
message). I got fed up waiting (it was late at night) and just turned
the PC off.

It sounds to me as though the motherboard is faulty (an ASUS P4B), but I
can't think why turning the PC off while it was trying to adjust the
hardware time should cause a problem.

Has anyone any bright ideas?

--
Mike Leuty
using his daughter's laptop with WindowsXP <hawk, spit>