[Nottingham] Motherboard problem

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 19 21:41:01 2003

On Tuesday 19 Aug 2003 20:43, Michael Leuty wrote:
> When I got home last night my PC wouldn't start. Nothing happened when
> turned on. I assumed that the power supply had failed, and this
> afternoon I bought and installed a new one. But it still won't work.

OK don't panic.  You need to find out if your old & new p/s work if you can.

> There is an LED on the motherboard which lights when there is power to
> the board. This LED is lit. However, the power light on the front of the
> PC is not lit, and pushing the on button makes no difference. I have
> also tried replacing the CMOS battery.

So you have some power.  Now go check the connectors, make sure the ATX
connector has good contact, remove it and reinsert.  Check your motherboard
headers, connecting case are still on correctly.

> It sounds to me as though the motherboard is faulty (an ASUS P4B), but I
> can't think why turning the PC off while it was trying to adjust the
> hardware time should cause a problem.
>
> Has anyone any bright ideas?

Also check memory and the CPU slot are correctly seated, you might be a victim
of thermal creep.

Rob