[Nottingham] Odd behaviour in KDE

Iain Lennon nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 20 14:30:00 2003

Funny you should say that. I've been chasing down a problem with my office PC
filling up its root partition. I narrowed it down to a couple of 300mb+ log
files, one of which was from snort, which I didn't realise was running on my
system. However most of it was taken up with this:

Aug  4 16:35:37 whitetower snort: [1:1322:4] BAD TRAFFIC bad frag bits
[Classification: Misc activity] [Priority: 3]: {UDP} 192.168.1.2 ->
192.168.1.1
Aug  4 16:35:37 whitetower last message repeated 3 times
Aug  4 16:35:37 whitetower snort: [1:521:1] MISC Large UDP Packet
[Classification: Potentially Bad Traffic] [Priority: 2]: {UDP}
192.168.1.2:800 -> 192.168.1.1:2049

Just an example.

MTUs on all machines were set at 1500 (obviously a default). Searching the
mailing lists for wlan-ng a setting of 2346 was evidently the setting to use,
so I've changed this in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts, although this hasn't
filtered down to the card, so a bit more research needed

Iain