[Nottingham] Motherboard problem

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 20 08:28:00 2003

On Tuesday 19 Aug 2003 20:43, Michael Leuty wrote:
> The last time the PC worked the clock had got out of sync, and ntpd
> didn't seem to be working. I used a manual command to correct the system
> time, but at shutdown there was a long delay and the screen reported
> problems in changing the hardware time (I can't remember the exact error
> message). I got fed up waiting (it was late at night) and just turned
> the PC off.

So that's fishy, during shutdown normally the system time is saved to the RTC,
xntpd does this periodically  to, perhaps there's a fault there.  Try
discharging the CMOS by setting the short jumper with power off.  I happen to
have an Asus P2B manual but not P4B, though it's very likely similar.  This
manual talks about clearing Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM (CLRTC), by powering
off, shorting the solder points labelled CLRTC, which are in corner near
battery.  Then hold <Delete> during boot and enter BIOS setup.

David's suggestion about stripping down is a good one, basically remove all
power to things like disks, disconnect cables on motherboard, and remove PCI
and ISA cards, apart from graphics.

> It may also be worth reseating any removable chips, usually only the
> bios chip these days, if at all. Most people wouldn't dare, and I don't
> blame them for it.

Safer to ensure it's seated properly, unless you have extractor tool, can be
easy to bend pins if you try and lever out with screw driver.

When all that fails, you're going to have to proceed by process of
elimination.  Have you another machine you can try P/S in?  I have a Commate
Mobo, lying unused which can take a Slot PIII CPU (and an el-cheapo case)
which you could try out for testing CPU & RAM, if they're compatible.

Rob