[Nottingham] email and calendaring products

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 22 12:59:00 2003

On Friday 22 Aug 2003 11:20, Martin Garton wrote:
> I need something that can be accessed by outlook and from at least one
> graphical Linux based client (preferably evolution) for both mail and
> calendars.

That access by Outlook is a big sticking point, it forces you to look for an
Exchange server clone, or I guess some client with an Outlook plugin.

There are some projects working on Exchange clones, but I'm not sure how
mature they are.  There was recent announcement about Open Groupware, which
was a former commercial product, but they've only just got started and aren't
ready for deployment yet, going by reviews.

> If it was only for email, I would just install one of the many products
> with IMAP support. My problem is that I don't know anything about how
> calendars work. In fact I suspect no standard protocol even exists for
> this(?)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Would a web based solution be acceptable?  That would decouple the client and
server side and open up many more options.

One last thought you might be able to pick up on the productivity tools and
groupware developed for the German government?  IIRC it's called Kroupware,
and has an integration with KDE, not sure about Gnome or GTK+ programs.

Rob