[Nottingham] Motherboard problem

Michael Leuty nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Aug 25 16:27:29 2003

Just to let you know that after trying all your helpful suggestions I
concluded that my mobo had ceased to be, it was an ex-mobo, it was no
more and had gone to join the choir invisible, etc. etc.

This was an excuse to install new faster mobo with more memory.  ;-)

However, new mobo has an AMD chip rather than Intel and I had to
reinstall both WinXP and Linux. I've had no end of little problems
(with both OS), with which I will not bore you, but for some reason
Mandrake didn't like my nVIDIA-based video card and the screen froze
solid when X started (using the nvidia driver). This is odd, as it
worked perfectly well with the old mobo. I imagine this must be Just
One Of Those Things. Time is too short to worry, so I've installed Red
Hat 9 instead, which seems to work fine.

I expect you can tell that I'm not Debian-User material.  ;-)

Thanks again for your comments and help.

--
Michael Leuty