[Nottingham] Motherboard problem

Derek Huskisson nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 19 23:18:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 20:43, Michael Leuty wrote:
> Dear List,

> There is an LED on the motherboard which lights when there is power to
> the board. This LED is lit. However, the power light on the front of the
> PC is not lit, and pushing the on button makes no difference. I have
> also tried replacing the CMOS battery.

I take it that this is a power LED and not a NW LED. If you're on a NW
then the LED may be on using the power from the NW card/chip. But thats
easily proved b powering off the computer.

> When I say nothing happens, I mean that the power supply doesn't even
> start working (the fans don't start). No POST, no nothing.

PSU fans are often thermally activated, but the CPU one isn't. Make sure
your MB isn't shorted to the box by the metal posts. Are all the bits
and pieces well shoved in ?. Slot-type CPUs and AGP boards may need a
good push in, but make sure that the cut outs on the respective items
suit the new MB otherwise you could damage both.

You can check your PSU to see if all the voltages are there, by removing
the connector from the MB, shorting out the two monitoring lines on the
plug and checking the DC supplies with a meter (what! you havn't got one
:)))

 A duff CPU can also cause these symptoms, but from your original
problem, as below then this is unlikely.

It may be worthwhile going back to your original MB and changing the
CMOS battery on that.

> The last time the PC worked the clock had got out of sync, and ntpd
> didn't seem to be working.

> Has anyone any bright ideas?

Ideas -- yes, but not very bright ones :)

PS I don't know your MB but it doesn't have any 'handbags' or suchlike to
reset the BIOS or select any MB speeds does it ?

			Derek Huskisson
--
Derek Huskisson <derek@huskisson.free-online.co.uk>