[Nottingham] ADSL

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 00:03:04 GMT 2003

Geoff Bagley wrote:
[...]
> I understand that you have members of the Nottingham list
> who have experience of ADSL and/or PPPoA.
>
> I have "btopenworld",  together with the BT Voyager 100
> modem (which they supplied).  I understand that it is NOT
> Linux friendly.
>
> I have also bought an  eTEC  ADSL Modem/Router with
> 4 ethernet ports and USB.    I have read that this unit may
> not be a good choice for Linux.
>
> The favoured one seems to be the Alcatel one that looks like
> a green flat fish !
>
> Please may I have your experiences.  I am still stuck with
> Windows 98 for internet use.   My Debian GNU/Linux is
> used for everything else,  using a dual-boot set-up.

I'm using an ADSL modem-router via ethernet with the greatest of ease.
The hardest part was setting the modem settings to use BT's unique ATM
settings. These are visible from the Windoze properties for the link.

You should be able to easily communicate with your modem via ethernet.
It is then just a case of setting Linux to use your modem's IP address
as a gateway, and configuring the modem for your bit of BT.

Note: An ethernet interface is very easy and reliable compared to using
USB. Well worth a £6 NIC and £2 cable if you've got a spare PCI slot.

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk